Emma Underwood, Operations Manager at Lancaster House is responsible for ensuring that we maintain the highest possible standards in Green Tourism. She leads a team of Green Champions who are always on the look-out for creative ways to conserve, re-cycle and reduce our carbon footprint. To celebrate National Coffee Day they’ve come up with ten tips for using your coffee grounds.
- Makes a fantastic exfoliant – mix with a little warm water and a few drops of natural coconut oil. A body scrub that will leave your skin soft and rejuvenated.
- Ease tired or puffy eyes. Mix with some cold water. Lie down and gently place under the eyes. Have 15 minutes of peace and quiet, after which eyes should feel more ‘wide awake’.
- Hair can get dull with a build-up of products. On wet hair, rub in a handful of coffee grinds to leave it squeaky clean. The added benefit for brunettes is that it can also intensity the colour.
Around the Home
- Mix the grinds with a little soapy water and use to remove stubborn stains on the kitchen worktop or grill.
- In the same way, great as a pan scourer.
- Mix up the grounds with vinegar and warm water and leave to ‘brew’ for a few hours. Then rub gently onto a scratched furniture. Leave to dry and brush away any loose coffee. Apply a second coat for a deeper colour. Good as new!
7. Place a container of dry grounds in your fridge to neutralize stale food odours.
In the Garden
- Put some grinds in your compost heap and let it break down. They are rich in nitrogen and a real attraction to worms. This is classified as ‘green’ matter and needs to be balanced with the correct ratio of ‘brown’ matter.
- Spread over the soil around your hydrangeas (and other acid-loving plants). The reduced pH levels will produce bright blue flowers in season.
10. After giving pooch a shampoo, rub a handful of grounds into their fur before rinsing to remove any fleas.
Morning Coffee at Lancaster House
Enjoy a Lovely Cup of Coffee at Lancaster House, safe in the knowledge that the team will be making the best use of the coffee grounds.