Nothing says ‘Christmas’ quite like a piping hot glass of mulled wine. Here at The Wild Boar, we have our own version of this festive classic – it’s really simple, takes next to no time to prepare and, most importantly, tastes delicious!
The Wild Boar Mulled Wine
- 2 Bottles of Red wine (a young Merlot is ideal)
- 1 litre cloudy apple juice
- 110 g caster sugar
- I long cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 4 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- Balvenie 12 Year Old DoubleWood
- Pour the wine and the apple juice into a saucepan with the sugar and spices.
- Add large pieces of orange and lemon peel (peel the whole fruit)
- Gently heat whilst stirring until the sugar has dissolved and then continue to heat for a further 15 minutes. Be sure that you don’t allow the liquid to boil as the alcohol will evaporate – and we don’t want that, do we?
- Take off the heat and leave for all the flavours to infuse for ½ hour.
Add a couple of glugs of Balvenie DoubleWood to taste, reheat and serve!
This particular Balvenie is one of our favourites. It is aged in ex-bourbon casks before being finished in sherry casks, imparting notes of spice, vanilla and cinnamon. Our ‘Master of Malt’ George describes it as being similar to Christmas Pudding!
Tie your whole spices in a muslin in order to save scooping out bits before serving and, for that extra taste of Christmas, why not add clementine and mandarin peel, ¼ grated nutmeg, vanilla pod (halved), ginger or cardamom?
Be careful not to over spice the wine though – less is always more!