We have a small veg patch at The Wild Boar which Laura has been lovingly tending to. This year the beetroot has been extremely good. We planted a one of the most popular varieties of beetroot called Boltardy and harvested them when they were the size of golf balls. Bolt-resistant, this variety of beet can be sown earlier than many other varieties and as long as it’s under cloche protection it can be sown as soon as the soil warms up at the start of the year.
Roast Beetroot and curd cheese salad with smoked sea salt
- First wash the beetroot and then boil in salted water for 5 mins.
- Take the beets from the water, cool and peel.
- Cut each beetroot into 6 pieces, sprinkle with walnut oil and smoked sea salt and roast on a tray in the oven for approximately 20 minutes until cooked.
- When cooked allow the beetroot to cool then mix with the rest of the ingredients in a bowl
- Edited by +Tina Taylor. Written by Marc Sanders